|The APS is seeking to appoint a new representative to the New Century Scholars Program Executive Committee. The Executive Committee is comprised of representatives from the Academic Pediatric Association, the American Board of Pediatrics, the American Pediatric Society, and the Society for Behavioral and Developmental Pediatrics.
The Executive Committee meets approximately 4 times a year.
The New Century Scholars Resident Mentoring Program is a mentorship program aimed at increasing the diversity of the academic pediatric workforce through:
- Selecting under-represented minority (URM) pediatric residents who have an interest in pursuing careers in academic pediatrics with specific interests in the areas of child health disparities and health equity, social determinants of health, medical education, and diversity in medicine and pediatrics.
- Matching URM pediatric residents in the program with junior and senior national advisers who provide ongoing support throughout residency including career planning, fellowship selection and more!
- Three-year term (begins July). Limit of one reappointment.
- Four quarterly leadership calls a year.
- Participation/representation during the NCS program and receptions (Friday before each PAS meeting for 3 years).
- If the individual would like to mentor, would be great as well. That time commitment would be at least 2 mentoring conversations a quarter for two years.
- The overall time that NCS takes up depends on the engagement of the APS Representative.
- Prepare an annual written report for the APS Summer Council meeting, to include:
- NCS activities in the past year
- APS contributions to NCS—current and potential future
- Value-added (to APS) of having an APS representative to NCS
APS members who are interested in serving a three-year term as the APS representative to NCS need to apply before August 1. The following items are required:
- One-page statement of interest to include:
- Why you would like to serve on the committee.
- How your background or experience could serve the committee.
- Personal statement.
- DEI Statement
A selection committee, consisting of APS Council members and Dr. DeWayne Pursley, the current APS representative, will select the new APS representative to NCS.