Established: November 2011
- Harness the powerful voice of scholarship to improve child health by advancing evidence-based policies and train, develop, and support the next generation of advocates.
- Empower our distinguished member leadership in alignment with allied pediatric societies to use policy to advocate for improved child health through academic pediatrics.
- Establish and charge an APS Advocacy Committee to advance the Core Values and priorities of APS.
- Establish priorities for approval by Council.
- Strengthen linkage of APS Advocacy Committee to the Council and to the Pediatric Policy Council (PPC).
- Align priorities to available advocacy resources through AAP Department of Federal Affairs Washington Office.
- Establish concrete outcomes and timelines for tracking and accountability.
- Launch communications and media relations plan to promote advocacy agenda to internal and external audiences and engage members in advancing priorities.
- Develop an Advocacy “Focus Page” for website with monthly updates.
- Develop with the Communication Committee a clear, value-added advocacy communication process going forward.
- Call to members to serve.
- Committee members must be APS members.
- Members selected by Council and Chair(s).
- Council Liaison to serve during their tenure as a Councilor.
- Staggered Co-chair terms.
- Chairs appointed by Council.
- Chairs serve a 3-year term.
- One Chair or designee serves on the Nichols Award Selection Committee.
- Chairs future term is at the discretion of Council.
- Chairs can serve a maximum of 1 consecutive term.
- Members serve a 3-year term.
- Terms will be staggered to ensure institution memory.
- Members can serve a maximum of 1 consecutive term.
- Duration is approximately one (1) hour or as needed for agenda.
- Meetings are biannually, quarterly, or as needed.
- Quorum is not necessary.
David Keller, MD (Term: Co-Chair 2018–2021, 2021-2024)
Lisa Chamberlain, MD (Term: Co-Chair 2021-2024)
Susan Baker, MD (Term: 2019–2024)
Cindy Christian, MD (Term: 2022-2025)
David Clark, MD (Term: 2020-2023)
Matthew Davis, MD, MAPP (Term: Co-Chair 2018-2021, Member 2021-2024)
Henry Lee, MD (Term: 2022-2025)
Scott Lorch, MD (Term: 2021-2024)
James M. Perrin, MD (Term: 2017–2020, 2020–2023)
DeWayne Pursley, MD, MPH (Term: 2017-2020, 2020–2023)
Thomas Scanlin, MD (Term: 2022-2025)
Mark Schleiss, MD (Term: 2022-2025)
Roberta G. Williams, MD (Term: 2018–2021, 2021-2024)